Kate and Clarence LaLonde Neighborhood Park.
Clark County Public Works and Vancouver-Clark Parks and Recreation have started construction on a new neighborhood park in northeast Hazel Dell. Construction began on the Kate and Clarence LaLonde Neighbrohood Park in July 2010 and is expected to be complete and open to the public in Spring 2011!
Kate and Clarence LaLonde Neighborhood Park is located on Northeast 99th Street, just west of 50th Avenue. The 7.7-acre park used to be part of the adjacent LaLonde family farm, which has been in operation for more than 100 years. The park is named for Kate and Clarence LaLonde, who originally purchased and worked the property starting in the early 1900s. Once construction is complete, the park will feature:
- Paved loop trail with mileage posted on a sign
- Playground equipment
- Small multi-purpose sports court
- Irrigated informal play field
- Small gathering plaza with picnic tables
- Farming-related design elements like split rail fences and stone columns to reflect the property’s history
- Passive nature area around the creek and wetland
- Entrances from NE 99th Street and NE 102nd Street
- Landscaping, bike rack, drinking fountain, garbage cans and signage
- Space for a small covered picnic shelter that can be added to the park in the future through community fundraising or donations
In addition, the county will plant hundreds of native plants and trees throughout the north side of the park as part of a separate stormwater improvement project. More information about Kate and Clarence LaLonde Neighborhood Park is available online at Vancouver-Clark Parks and Recreation.